Saturday, May 30, 2009

North Norfolk 2009

This is my first time putting together a blog so please bear with me.

The trip was Burnham Overy Staithe (BOS) to Blakeney point and back. Time on the water paddling was planned for six hours.

We left BOS three hours before low water and followed the river through sand dune islands and out into to the sea. At the entrance to this inlet was a suggestion of what doing this could be like on a rough day as the out going tide caused eddies and breaking surf, small on this occasion over the sand banks, but with the ability I felt to catch the unaware out on another day. This was evident all along the ever growing sand banks as we past towards Wells next the sea. Peter also recounted the last time he past this way last year in force six conditions, and it sounded testing.

However for us we simple sped along assisted by the current and a light South Westerly, we arrived at Wells in good time and with little effort, and again the force of the emptying river could be seen on the channel markers as we flew past. There was not a cloud in the sky a light swell. I found myself drifting into a trance just the sound of paddle on water and a warm sun on your face, I found myself having to break out of it, having a little chat with Pete then back into it. One of those rare occasions when you are thinking about nothing, Car needing mot, gone, kitchen needs painting, gone, only had three hours sleep the night before as my little boy is growing teeth, well two out of three's not bad. there was a section when Blakeney did not get any closer for a while. Then with a little bit of unexpected surfing and being surrounded by the seals trying to put me off we where there.

We did try to keep a respectful distance by the seals wanted to come for a look, we then pulled up for lunch, more trance like state where I could have just sat on that sand bank until the tide came in. Peter though got a grip of me, and we headed back, much the same on the way back.

We got to the mouth of BOS, as we neared Skull Island, yes that is its name, and shiver me timbers thems land lubbers 'ave takens all the water. So not for the first time out came the tow line and we dragged our boats the last KM through shallow water and tidal lagoons amongst the sand dunes. I have to be honest I did enjoy this bit, it cooled me down, and I identified what a great place to bring my son back to. We pretty much came in on time, I had had one of the simplest and best trips of my sea kayaking life.

We finished with and ice cream and a not to bad drive home.

I will be back to the area and with my tent next time, as this would be a top place to overnight. Pete said in passing as we headed towards Blakeney would'nt it be nice just to keep going, I will hold that though. All the pictures for this can be found in the Gallery in Norfolk 2008.

1 comment:

Mairi said...

Glad you enjoyed your trip to my part of the world. BTW It's Scolt head island (I think someone was having you on about 'Skull Island')